Friday, September 16, 2011

It's None of our Business

God is in charge of what happens, when it happens, how it happens and why it happens. This is true of all events from the beginning of time. He does this for our good and His glory.

God is not the author of sin, yet evil serves His purposes. He does not violate our free will, yet free will also serves His purposes. We’re not supposed to understand all this ... we’re simply supposed to believe it.

Has anyone ever said to you … "That's none of your business." Well, in a way, this is exactly what God is telling us in the scriptures I have selected below. There are some things that are God's business alone.

Deuteronomy 29:29 … "The secret things belong unto the Lord our God, but the things which are revealed belong to us …"

In this verse we see a distinction is made between the secret things and the revealed things. I believe God only reveals to us what we need to know. Some things remain hidden from us.

Proverbs 25:2 … "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing …"

This statement can cover a whole host of things from how long we live, to what His intentions for your future are. God doesn't want you to know everything that's going to cross your path. God will not tell us everything or answer every question we have … including why He does this or that.

Ecclesiastes 12:1 … "Remember also your Creator, that you are not your own, but His property now …"

And is it not true that God, as the potter can make you into any vessel He chooses? Does He not have that right? You are His … Jesus bought you with a price … His death on the cross. And even if you are not a believer, you still belong to God, you are not your own, if only because as your Creator, He made you.

Isaiah 8:17 … "And I will wait for the Lord, Who is hiding His face … and I will look for and hope in Him."

Some of the time it feels as if God is testing us by leaving us totally alone. Oh, He doesn't forsake us … it just seems that way.

Isaiah 14:24 … "The LORD of hosts hath sworn, saying, Surely as I have thought, so shall it come to pass; and as I have purposed, so shall it stand …"

This is speaking of the absolute will of God … when He decrees something … it must come to pass. It cannot be resisted … it must happen. That which God Sovereignly decrees will absolutely come to pass.

Isaiah 45:15 … "Truly You are a God who hides Himself …"

This is the second time Isaiah said something like this. Again, it's God's business how He conducts Himself. Jesus said in Luke 11:9 … "Ask and keep on asking and it shall be given you; seek and keep on seeking and you shall find; knock and keep on knocking …" (Amplified) God isn't playing hide and seek with us … but if you feel He is hiding from you, just keep on seeking and you will find Him. He's never too far off.

Isaiah 55:8-9 … "For My thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways My ways, says the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways and My thoughts than your thoughts."

We are fallen creatures, and as such we just don't think like God does. And as far as I know we never will. According to Genesis 6:5 … "Every imagination and intention of all human thinking is evil continually" (Amplified) … which is why Paul wrote that we need to … "be transformed by the renewing of your mind ..." (Romans 12:2)

1st Corinthians 2:16 … "For who has known or understood the mind and purposes of the Lord …"

When I was younger, (I'm speaking at least 40 years ago) I thought I had an answer for most questions raised about God. The past 40 years or so have allowed me to come up with a much more honest response to questions about God.

"I really don't know" … many times is the best answer to give. At least it's always an honest answer. And there isn't any shame in saying, "I don't know."

Why do I say that? Because there are secret things as well as revealed things. If God keeps some things secret, it's because … it's none of our business.



Comments welcome.

3 comments:

Copper said...

Job 13:15 ..Though HE slay me, yet I will wait for and trust HIM... (Ampl)
Over the years, I have prayed for many things. The LORD, I know has heard my prayers because HE has answered me when I have simply pondered something. Time and again HE has given me what I needed, not what I asked for. At other times he has gently said' "No". But everything HE does is in steadfast love. I once had to move and I was livid. Eight months later I found out why, the house I had been in was destroyed by Hurricane Charlie.

Following Him said...

Copper ...

I say amen to your words. Jesus said to ask what you will ... and like you I have found that He gives us what we need. Sometimes what we want isn't best.

phil said...

Great post, my dear brother and friend. Keep them coming.

GOD spoke in the beginning and time is still trying to catch up to HIS words.