Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The Chief of Sinners

1st Timothy 1:15 … "This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief."

As Saul of Tarsus, being full of faith and love for God … but yet at the same time in ignorance and unbelief about Jesus, operating in persecuting rage ... his statement "of whom I am chief" as seen in this light, is strictly and literally true. If we take the whole of the apostle’s conduct into consideration, previous to his conversion upon meeting Jesus on the road to Damascus, was there a greater sinner converted to God? Not in his own mind anyway.

None, not one ... he was the chief ... and by keeping the persecution of the church in his memory, he asserts in this statement … of all people that the Lord Jesus came into the world to save, and of all that he had saved to that time, "I am chief."

Humble as he now was speaking to Timothy, anyone who knew how shockingly brutal and cruel he was before, most likely would have agreed with his assessment of himself. He believed he was what he said.

"Of whom I am chief" … or first, number one. The word he chose to use, "chief" denotes eminence, as to stand above others so that he occupied the first rank among sinners.

This does not mean that he had been the greatest of sinners in all respects, but that in some respects he had been so great a sinner, that taken as a whole there were none who had surpassed him. I am sure the main sin which he refers to was the part which he had taken in putting the saints to death.

Other than persecuting the saints, the youthful Saul of Tarsus appears to have been eminently moral, and his outward conduct was in accordance with the strictest rules of Jewish Law. After his conversion, he never attempted to justify his conduct, or excuse himself. He was always ready to admit to its fullest extent, the fact that he was a sinner.

Paul was so deeply convinced of this, that he carried with him the constant impression that he was eminently unworthy. He does not say merely that he had been in the past a sinner, but he speaks of it as something that always pertained to him … "of whom I am chief."

The two words … "I am" … denote present tense, right now I am, or so he felt.

I once had a Dean of a Bible College tell me that truly spiritual people, never see themselves as spiritual. They always see their flaws and weaknesses. I guess it's because they measure themselves using Jesus as the yardstick. None of us can measure up to Him. I think Paul was that way also.

What are we to conclude about Paul? Was he in his past life the chief of sinners? In his eyes … without a doubt. What about after he met Jesus? Did he mean that his present conduct allowed him to keep the title of chief sinner?

Didn't he say in 1st Corinthians 9:27 … "But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway."

Paul is saying that he keeps his body, his passions under control, under subjection to his spiritual will … he doesn't let his carnal natural man rule.

I find it hard to believe, that Paul meant he was a habitual sinner, unable to control and dominate his carnal flesh. Yes, he did sin. He said so in ...

Romans 7:14-21 ... “For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I … For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.”

Does Paul sound just like us? We want to do what is right, but our flesh has a mind of it's own. The body of flesh never got saved, just our spirit with-in … so the battle between the will of our spirit and the desires of the flesh continues until we learn to overcome the flesh and bring it into subjection as Paul said, but that is only going to happen with the help of God's Holy Spirit.

Now let me go back to what Paul is writing to Timothy. He says in the next verse (vs. 16) … "Howbeit, for this cause I obtained mercy; that in me First, Jesus Christ might show forth all longsuffering, for a pattern To Them which should Hereafter, believe on him to life everlasting."

Paul is saying that God showed him mercy and grace so He could use him as an example … if Paul could be saved … anyone can be saved.

In view of his past deeds, mainly, the persecution of the church that made him the chief of sinners, Paul is saying ... "If you want to look at an example of the longsuffering and patience of God, look first at me. Use me as a pattern for all those who might follow."

If Jesus Christ, with whom there can be no respect of persons, saved Saul of Tarsus, then no sinner need despair or be without hope.



Comments welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you people have a facebook fan page? I searched for one on facebook or twitter but could not discover one, I’d really like to become a fan!

Following Him said...

Anonymous ...

Sorry, it's just me and my little blog. I have a Facebook page but it's just the average stuff about everyday life, kids, grand-kids, etc.

But you are welcome to stop by here anytime or you can become a follower if you so choose. I only post once a week ... I'm not lazy, just slow, because I try to get things right.

Thanks for caring,

Blessings ...