Tuesday, September 1, 2015

As God



Is there an answer to this question I have asked many times in the past ... "Did Jesus use faith when He performed miracles such as healing people or raising the dead?"

I've thought about that often and even spoke to that subject in one of my earlier blog posts.  While discussing with Peggy one of our Pastor's Sunday sermons, the Lord dropped a new thought into my heart ... at least it was new to me.

I had years ago come to the conclusion that Jesus was God ... just wrapped in human flesh from Mary.  And as God, He had the power and authority to do whatever His Father told Him to do.  Jesus said something like ... "If you have seen Me, you've seen the Father."  Also ... "No man takes my life ... I have the power to lay it down, and I have the power to take it up again." Etc.

Understand, I believe that God cannot be less than He is ... even if He is in a body of flesh as Jesus was.  And the opposite then is also true ... He cannot become greater than He already is, meaning, nothing can be added to Him. 

So, that is where I am coming from when I ask ... "Did Jesus need faith to perform miracles?"

As God ... no.  But as man ... yes He did.  Here's what was dropped into my heart.

The only "faith" Jesus needed, was to "believe" that even as a man ... He was God

Jesus as an adolescent, had to learn that He was God as He grew into a man.  Yes, He was with God in the beginning as "the Word of God" (John 1:1) before He became "flesh" (John 1:14) and was born of Mary.  But now He was one of us.  So my mind wonders ... when did Jesus first know who He was after He was born as a human? 

The first Adam was created as a fully developed man.  He had no childhood, although he probably had a learning curve.  The Apostle Paul states in (1st Corinthians 15:45) that Jesus was the last Adam, but He was born as a normal baby and had to learn and grow as all children have to.  Yes, He was God even then ... just miniaturized down to about 8 pounds or so ... therefore He had to wait until His body grew and He matured before assuming His characteristic Godly nature

Notice Isaiah 7:14-16 ... "Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel.  Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.  For before the child shall know to refuse the evil, and choose the good ..."

This is speaking of Jesus as a child and expresses the truth of His human nature and how He would be brought up as other Hebrew children were.  Ignorance of good and evil denotes a designated time, perhaps infancy to the age of accountability.

Allow me to let my mind run a little here.  Let's go back to when Jesus was a child. 

This Jewish boy eventually starts thinking that He is God.  After all, He is, right?  So this kid starts thinking along those lines and asks His mother all these strange questions about Himself.  "Mom, how come I don't sin and get into trouble like other kids?" ... or whatever questions they might have been.  He had to know He was different.  We also know that by the age of twelve He already knew who He was and was found teaching in the Temple. (Luke 2:42-52)

Just as we have a human spirit or (the heart and soul) within us, Jesus also had a human spirit within Him.  But I believe that His human spirit was not really the same as we have been given.  I believe that the heart and soul of Jesus was the Holy Spirit.  As God, that would have to be.  If you believe in the Trinity, the Three in One ... God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit ... that seems logical to me.

I believe the titles, the Holy Spirit, the Holy Ghost and the Spirit of Christ, as referred to in the Scriptures, are all one and the same.  The Apostle Paul spoke of the Spirit of Christ as being the One who takes up residence in our hearts.  (Romans 8:9-10)

If Jesus was God, and I believe He was, therefore ... as God ... He had all the faith within His soul already, so that nothing was impossible with Him.  But some would say that Jesus emptied Himself of all that was God when He was born of Mary.  I don't think so.  If that was so, that means Jesus was just a man; and if just a man, how could He say not only ... "Take up thy bed and walk," but also, "Thy sins be forgiven thee" ... for even the scribes said, "Only God can forgive sin."  (Mark 2:5-12)    

I am not presenting this as some new doctrine.  Just some food for thought.  It may just be too much sugar or my mind running amuck.

Blessings ...



Comments are welcome.

2 comments:

Chana @ Lemon Lime Moon said...

Just playing devil's advocate here:
If a Christian says 'wrapped' in flesh, is that skating close to Gnostic belief that the flesh was only an outward display and not real?

Following Him said...

Hi Lemon ... Since I am not as well studied as you are my dear friend, I guess I would say, no, it's not the same thing. I'm not sure what they believed, but Jesus lived and died. As I've said before ... God can't die, but Jesus "the man" did. As you have probably noticed by now, my mind doesn't work like most other Christians. And I say that with a smile. I'm not sure, but I think I was trying to point out that the spirit man within Jesus was not just a human spirit like we have ... but the Holy Spirit, God's Spirit. And that is why it takes faith to believe not only in God, but also in the Son of God.

Love your comments Chana.