Friday, June 12, 2015

Truth Has No Agenda



I love the Book Of Ecclesiastes.  It is full of truth and wisdom.  In Ecclesiastes, Solomon placed life itself on trial; whereas I have just observed life, but I have come to almost the same conclusion.  The conclusion of Solomon's trial of life is simply this … "Fear God and keep His commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." (Ecclesiastes 12:13)
      
His conclusion is that all of man's efforts in seeking happiness in this life are wasted without complete submission and obedience to God.  Even then, we are not really in control of our lives.  God is the one who gives the blessings to us as He pleases, and He will be the one who disposes of our life when He is done with us.  

But even so … it is this world that is brought into question … not God.

Life ... as I have observed it, has in all honesty shaped my doctrine of faith or the lack of it.  I have shared with you before that our Creator has given each of us one of four basic temperaments.  The four are ... Choleric, Melancholy, Phlegmatic and Sanguine.  I happen to be a Melancholy ... which means I struggle with some things about God.

As a melancholy, my basic desire is for "perfection" in everything and everyone.  So of course I see myself as unable to live up to my own expectations.  Emotionally, the melancholy temperament is a little "sensitive," which means I struggle with how things are.  Because "things aren't perfect" in the world I see, or for that matter, life in general ... sometimes a little depression tries to creep in.  But I overcome it.

But the main spiritual struggle I have is with ... "the fairness of God."

I'm not complaining for myself ... I am blessed ... and I know it.  But when you observe life like Solomon did, one could question the fairness of God.     

I'll give you an example which has something to do with my understanding of … "the fairness of God."  Perhaps I should say, my misunderstanding of that fairness.

Several years ago a fifteen year old girl was kidnapped by a vile, evil, satanic madman.  This precious beautiful young girl was raped and then dumped naked along the side of a highway to bleed to death after this monster chopped off both of her arms below her elbows with an ax he had in his van.  She only survived because she stopped the bleeding by sticking the stubs of her arms into the dirt of a plowed field along the side of the road.

I don't have an answer for God watching and allowing this to happen except … it has to do with something called free will.  As we look at the "fairness of God" question … we find that it includes giving these monsters like this madman, the free will to mutilate and destroy lives.  I have to accept this as fact, that all free will must be this way … even to be totally free to choose good or evil … but I don't have to like it. 

Let me continue being as honest as I can about the truth and the facts of life.  Find me a scripture or a promise in the Word of God to stand on … or better yet, find me someone with enough faith in God to pray for this girl … and have God restore her arms and make her whole again. 

She doesn't need healedshe needs new arms to grow back.  But as far as I have ever studied or researched … there has never been an amputee who has had a limb grow back or a limb restored by God.  Why is that?  He has the power.   

Brutal honesty.  Is God fair?  The truth is ... of course He is.  God is not the author or approver of sin.  It's life that isn't fair.  That's why we need God.

Sorry … but I'm tired of playing games about the truth that's not found in the Word of God. 

The truth is … God heals and restores.  The truth is … but not every time.  Both facts are true just the same.  God doesn't heal every time in every situation.  Our loved ones die.  Dreams die.  We will die.  Am I being too honest with the truth?

These are things most believers don't or won't talk about.  Why not ... it's the truth.  Some believers will never admit that they are sick.  Didn't Jesus call for the sick?  They came to Him admitting they were sick and needed His help.  It's not a sin to be sick. 

I just brought up sickness as one example where believers try to separate the facts of life that are real ... from what they want to believe as the truth they see in the Scriptures.  Yes, 1st Peter 2:24 states you were healed through the stripes Jesus bore as He went to the cross ... and that is the truth.  But it's not a fact until God makes that healing real in your body.  That's also the truth.

The Word of God teaches the truth.  Life also teaches the truth.  Well ... maybe I should say, life teaches the facts.  God is the truth, and He has the truth at His command.  But life's lessons usually hurt more.  I believe what I've written is the truth or at least the facts … as I see them.  As with all of my opinions … well, they're just mine.  

Truth has no agenda.

The truth is ... God's answer is always Jesus.



Comments are welcome.

2 comments:

Kathy Horath said...

This is an amazing post, Carl. One of your best, as you have been brutally honest, and there are too many that shy away from this truth.

"God heals and restores. The truth is... but not every time." I love it. Brutal Truth.

Following Him said...

Thank you so much Kathy. I am what I am ... I've gotta' be me. I sometimes think I see and feel things differently, in life and also in God's Word. I hope I don't confuse people ... but if I do ... Jesus can fix anything I mess up. Again, thank you Kathy for your kind words. They mean a lot to me. Bless you. Carl