Friday, June 20, 2014

A Silent World


Today I am going to share something special with you.  It is from my friend Kathy Massey and her blog ... "Musings of a Closeted Geek" ... I hope you enjoy it and find it useful.

Kathy entitled this post ... "A Silent World."


"Falling snow is very peaceful.  I love to sit at a window and watch the flakes come down.  This is one thing I did long ago as a young girl before I knew the world had sound.

I am hearing impaired. My level of hearing loss in both ears is equated to pushing the 'mute' button on the remote control of a television set.  In fact, the latest version of hearing aids have this feature on the remote controls.  I have been known to silently push 'mute' during a particularly long-winded speech (shh! don't tell).

I love that I can control the noise of the world.  When life gets a little overwhelming, I can turn a switch and retreat into my own quiet space.  This is the best way to sleep, too.  I have little difficulty falling asleep and almost never wake up in the night.  It is a gift.

When I was younger, my hearing aids were more prominent, and less effective at hearing the world.  I was often ridiculed and mocked for my funny 'deaf accent' and pronounced loud breathing (that I can't hear).  I often wished that I could wake up some day and not have to put on the hearing aids to hear.

I became a believer at age 19 and was introduced to the charismatic gifts of the Spirit.  I thought God wanted to heal me.  I prayed for healing so many times, and found myself disappointed that He did not heal me.  I thought I didn't have enough faith.  I thought my sins were too great.

Now, I know the hearing loss is God's gift to me.  Even though there are sounds I miss, and movies I have to wait to see when it can be closed-captioned, I would not trade the benefits of peaceful quiet I can have at the click of a button.  I just would like to know how I can use this gift for the purposes of His ministry."



"God has given each of you a gift from his great variety of spiritual gifts.  Use them well to serve one another." ... 1st Peter 4:10 (NLT)

              
The following is a comment left on her post ... I thought I should include it as well.

"The Lord says to Moses, 'Who gives speech to mortals? Who makes them mute or deaf, seeing or blind? Is it not I, the Lord?'" (Exodus 4:11)

God made us. He can use us. What we think is broken, God can use to show His glory.


I leave you with the link to her site ...

http://musingsofaclosetedgeek.blogspot.com


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Therore Christ always in God!SO God love the world that he gave his only begotten son who ever believe him not perish ,but have evelasting life !" so beautiful message to us around the world in the Holy Spirits power with salvation and healing and to be revival that last time in Jesus name ,thanks and bless and pray,keijo sweden

Following Him said...

Hi Sweden ... I'm always happy to hear from believers around the world. May our Lord bless and keep you and yours. See you in Heaven some day.

Carl ...