Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Representing Jesus


Christians often say that they are believers in Jesus.  But how deep is that belief?  How much of a commitment are most Christians actually making?  I'm asking myself these same questions.  Are we following the last statement Jesus committed us too?

Read what He expected of believers ... or at least what I assume was His desire and purpose for His followers to carry out. 

Mark 16:17 ... "These signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues."

What did Jesus mean by saying ... "In my name" ...?   

Before the average believer ends prayer and seals it with a hearty amen, they usually close with something like ... "and we ask it in the name of Jesus."

This type of closing is common place in most churches.  "In my name" ... so we say, "in the name of Jesus" or "in Jesus' name."  Either phrase is acceptable and rightly so.  That is the basic meaning I suppose for what Jesus was asking us to do ... in prayer.

But here in Mark 16:17, Jesus isn't speaking of prayer.  Prayer is I believe, talking to God, where we ask God the Father in Heaven to heal, or save, or any of a hundred other things believers need or want to see done through our prayer as we ... pray in the name of Jesus.

So why is Mark 16:17 different?  If I'm not mistaken ... this portion of Scripture has been labeled as, "The Great Commission" ... the sending out of the disciples and others to win the world for Christ.  This is where Jesus gave them their marching orders to "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to every creature."

And then He said, when you do, these signs shall follow them that believe ... "In my name" ... the following will happen.  Things like demons cast out, the sick healed and lives changed by the power of the Holy Spirit.

Why did Jesus say "In my name" rather than "just speak my name?"

"In my name" gives you the authority ... whereas speaking the name "Jesus" is the authority.

When the disciples and the other followers of Jesus went out unto the world preaching the good news, they were operating with the very same legal authority that Jesus had.

Today we draw up a Legal Document called ... "A Power of Attorney" ... that allows the person named in this document to conduct any and all business on behalf of the person that gave them that authority.

A person with a legal Power of Attorney can buy and sell, operate business, delegate personal affairs and/or speak with the same legal standing, with the same authority ... as if ... the one he is representing is present.

By Jesus saying ... "In my name" ... He gave the disciples (and by extension believers today) the legal authority to operate in and through His name as though He was the one doing it.  They were representing Jesus

We not only can, but should operate "in His name" whenever we are moved or directed by the Holy Spirit to act like Jesus with compassion and love in this world. 

Isn't this what Peter did in Acts3:1-7 when he and John went to the temple to pray?  But when they got to the gate of the temple grounds they were confronted by a lame man. 

They had heard Jesus say, "In my name" the sick will be healed.  So Peter says ... "Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk."

Peter was operating as though he had the power of attorney document in his hand.  But it wasn't in his hand.  Instead he had Jesus' words ... "in my name" ... in his heart and soul representing Jesus as he walked by that lame man and acted on the authority those three words gave him.

I wonder, just how much the world would be changed if we all walked in love, and operated in the authority we have been given by those three words ... "in my name."

Representing Jesus.

Isn't that really what He wanted?


No comments: