Friday, July 27, 2012

Just a few Words


The other day the Lord spoke these four words to my heart ... "Just a few words" ... which sounded to me like a title for another weekly posting.

So, believing that He wants me to present you with not just any few words, but the greatest words there are; I'm going to share some of the words that came from the heart of Jesus.  Why His words?  Because the words of Jesus are life in a world that has nothing to offer except darkness, fear, pain, sickness, disease, hate, war ... and if there is any pleasure, peace or happiness, it's only temporary. 

The words of Jesus can bring peace to your soul, they can be words of healing.  I believe the words of Jesus are still alive and working today.  The words of Jesus ... there, I've said that phrase again, why?  Because as "the Word of God" made flesh, every recorded word from His lips have purpose and meaning for us yet today.

Yes, while it is true that I have questioned in the past if some of the promises He spoke to the disciples weren't meant just for them ... the words I am bringing to you today were spoken to all of God's children, the common man wherever they are ... if ... you want to accept and believe that they are spoken from the heart of God.

I really want to present to you only the words of Jesus.  I'm going to try and hold my comments to a minimum ... and saying that, I already know I'm going to fail.  I love to write about my Lord ... He is amazingly awesome.  My words sometimes are many, whereas the words of Jesus take but a few to change a heart.

The words of Jesus are kind, loving, truthful and faithful words full of mercy and grace that show us what God is like.  So where do I start?  Which of His words should we consider today?  There was one disciple in my opinion, that seemed to understand Jesus a little bit better than the others.  I want to look at just a few words that John penned that he heard Jesus speak.

John 3:7 ... "Ye must be born again."  ...... These are His words, not mine.  They are also true.

John 3:17-18 ... "For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.  He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."  ...... Do you know that you will not go to Hell for what you do?  You will be judged for your sinful deeds for only one reason ... not believing in Jesus as your Savior and Lord.

John 4:13-14 ... "Whosoever drinketh of this water (Jacob's well) shall thirst again: But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."  ...... Jesus' words are living water to those who are dry and empty inside.

People have asked, "How do you know you are saved?"  When Jesus comes into your life He leaves something within; you just know.  It must be that life giving water He was talking about.  I believe this is what David alluded to when he wrote in the 23rd Psalm ... "My cup runneth over" ... meaning, continually.

John 6:35 ... "Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."  ...... Your human spirit needs to be fed just as your body does.  Only the words of Jesus will satisfy that spiritual hunger.

John 8:11 ... "Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more."  ...... Are these words spoken by Jesus the words you need to hear?  They may be the greatest words Jesus ever spoke.  They certainly are if there is sin in your life. 

Just think ... like the woman who was taken in the very act of adultery, her sin being no worse than ours; hearing those words from the lips of Jesus ... "Neither do I condemn thee" ... must have brought such a peace knowing they were about to stone her to death for her sin.

Take a moment to reflect on those words ... "Neither do I condemn thee."  Can you hear those words in your heart?  If you listen real close, who knows, you might even hear Him add ... "I also love you."

I feel impressed to give you the words of the Lord as spoken through another man.  You will not find these words printed in the Bible, although they are the message of the Bible.  They are spoken through Graham Cook.

"You need to understand there is nothing you can do to make God love you more.  There is also nothing you can do to make God love you less.  He loves you because that is what He is like.  It is His nature to love.  His love is unchanging.  You will always be loved.

He won't love you any better when you become better.  And even if you have no plans to become better, He will still love you as you are.  Even if you don't change, He will still love you with His whole heart because that's His nature.  His love is unchanging.  He loves you right now, this very moment ... as you are.  He can't help Himself, that's who He is ... God is love."


Wow ... what an awesome God.

John 12:46 ... "I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness."  ...... If you don't like the darkness around you, then turn on the light.  Jesus is the light in a darkened world.

John 14:27 ... "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you.  Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."  ...... Even in times of trouble, the words of Jesus bring peace instead of fear.

John 19:30 ... "It is finished."  ...... No more can be added to what Jesus did, nor should it.

And now, I am finished ...



Comments welcome.

5 comments:

hannahkate123 said...

Good post dad. However, I have to challenge your description of "a world that has nothing to offer except darkness, fear, pain, sickness, disease, hate, war ... and if there is any pleasure, peace or happiness, it's only temporary." That description sounds like we are living on the set of The Book of Eli. That certainly doesn't describe my life! (thank You Jesus!) And I'm immediately reminded of John 10:10 "I came that they may have and enjoy life, and have it in abundance (to the full, till it overflows)." Now maybe you're going to challenge me back and say that scripture is referring to the "afterlife". I don't know about that...I haven't studied it deeply. But I DO BELIEVE that God fully intends for us to have joy on this earth! Abundantly!! That's why Jesus is here setting the captives free. What message am I sending to others who are lost & being deceived in believing that their joy comes from alcohol, drugs, wild sexual adventures, etc, and life on this earth is just hopeless with no joy set before me until death? It would cause me to say "thanks, but no thanks...I'm doing fine right where I am." Life is good! Yes, there is sin & there are many problems on this earth, but "take heart, I have overcome the world!" John 16:33 I don't believe we are to live our lives focusing all our thoughts on the negative. "And set your minds and keep them set on what is above (the higher things), not on the things that are on the earth." Col 3:2 Now if you're out there getting your hands dirty and being the "hands & feet of Jesus", that's different. But too much focused negativity will skew a person's thoughts & attitudes & perceptions...it becomes who you are. As our pastor reminded us last weekend "throw off everything that hinders." Hebrews 12:1 I believe that includes allowing the problems of this world to consume our hearts & minds. :)

Peggy M said...

Maybe I misunderstood his post, but I thought he was saying that without Jesus, everything was very bleak. However, with Jesus we have hope and light and He is what makes life good.

Will be interested to hear what he was thinking.

hannahkate123 said...

U might be right...that opening statement just jumped out at me as being awfully negative concerning life on earth. But yes, life without a Jesus is definitely bleak! Agreed.

hannahkate123 said...

Oops...not "a Jesus"...just Jesus!

Following Him said...

More words from Jesus about the world ...

1st John 2:15 & 17 ... "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world ... And the world passeth away ..." (Everything in this world, good and bad is just temporary.)

John 16:33 ... "These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world."

2nd Peter 1:4 ... "Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world ..." (The word corruption means ... decay or ruin.)

This is the fallen state of not only the world, but natural man. Only the "life" that was in Jesus is the "light" of man. Without the "light" the world has nothing except darkness, fear, pain, sickness, disease, hate, war ... and if there is any pleasure, peace or happiness in the world without Jesus ... it's only temporary. 

The American Christian is indeed blessed with abundance, and our cup does overflow; but if we were Christians in Iran or Haiti ... would we be so abundantly blessed?

That's why we walk by faith not by sight. You might see the darkness, sin has brought to the world and give up. Our peace and joy is not in this world ... it's in Christ.