Sunday, November 2, 2008

Moving Mountains

I've been thinking again. You might say to yourself … Oh no, now what? That's just it, I don't know; so I'm going to try and put my thoughts into words. I'm starting with a blank page … kind of like my mind most of the time when I'm dealing with things that require faith.

As I look back over my life since I started believing in Jesus, I have been trying to follow His teaching that I find in the Bible; as well as what Paul and the other Apostles had to say about faith, wisdom, testing, trials, healing; along with other lessons in life … and as I think about all these things based only on my own personal experiences, I find that something just doesn't seem right.

The lofty words of Jesus … if I dare call them that … the ones dealing with faith, seem to be higher than I can reach at this present time.

Oh, they are inspiring, and true, for God can not lie. Take for example …

Matthew 17:20 …"And Jesus said unto them … If ye have faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye shall say unto this mountain, Remove hence to yonder place; and it shall remove; and nothing shall be impossible unto you."

Jesus went even further when He said in …

Mark 11:23-24 …"For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith. Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them."

Luke 17:5-6 …"And the apostles said unto the Lord, Increase our faith. And the Lord said, If ye had faith as a grain of mustard seed, ye might say unto this sycamine tree, Be thou plucked up by the root, and be thou planted in the sea; and it should obey you."

On paper it looks so simple … my small amount of faith, when planted and watered by the Word should grow; maybe not into a great big tree, but at least a twig with some kind of roots in the Word of God that will withstand the storms of life.

I have spoken to the mountains that have confronted me … and guess what … they never moved. I had to climb over them or walk around them. According to the words of Jesus, the mountain should have moved, for … "nothing shall be impossible unto you"unless the mountain is not the problem we are facing.

What if the mountain Jesus was speaking about were … doubt and unbelief and not a literal material mountain at all. Doubt and unbelief come when we face something in our lives that seems insurmountable; a mountain sized problem that we know in and of ourselves we are not capable of overcoming because it's too big for us; so it brings and introduces fear into our heart.

So … let me run this through my mind again; if believing is faith, and doubt is the opposite of faith … then doubt is unbelief. Does this sound right? If it is, then when we doubt, are we not in a state of … unbelief.

Look back at Matthew 17:14-16. A man brought his son to Jesus and said to Him … "I brought him (the boy) to thy disciples, and they could not cure him."

Just before Jesus told His Disciples (in verse 20) to speak to this mountain to remove it out of their way; He called them … faithless.

Matthew 17:17 … "O faithless and perverse generation, how long shall I be with you? how long shall I suffer you? bring him (the boy) hither to me."

I think the key here is the word … faithless, or without faith. The word is an adjective which means … likely to betray trust or confidence in something or someone.

I believe doubt and unbelief could possibly be the mountain Jesus was talking about. Wouldn't being without faith or being faithless really be the same thing as having doubt or unbelief? What mountain is bigger than doubt or unbelief when we are praying about a problem or need?

As I said before, at least in my life when I commanded a mountain to move, it has been my experience that it just stayed right where it was. In fact the more I looked at it, the bigger it seemed to grow.

I'm beginning to think that instead of speaking to the mountain, I should have spoken to the doubt … no, I'm going to call it what it was … unbelief.

I'm not saying the mountains we see are not real; they are. The trials and tests; sickness and death are real mountains. But the truth is we don't fix the problems ourselves anyway; God does … that's why we pray. The only thing I am sure about is that God isn't the problem. It's the unbelief in our lives.

Unbelief makes us think God won't answer us; that maybe He's teaching us something; perhaps testing us like Job for some reason or we believe some other lie of the Devil that's easier to except then the truth … which is, that we are just like He said His Disciples were … faithless, operating in unbelief.

Unbelief is the real mountain that stands between the problem and the answer.

Jesus said …"If ye had faith"… that's the only thing that moves God. Faith in Him.

Hebrews 11:6 …"But without faith it is impossible to please Him: for he that cometh to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of them that diligently seek Him."

Again … not only are the words of Jesus lofty, so are the words from the writer of Hebrews … "without faith it is impossiblebelieve that He is and that He is a rewarder…" God rewards faith, not unbelief.

Although I'm bending the meaning of this next verse a little, Paul wrote in Romans 14:23 … " whatsoever is not of faith is sin." Is unbelief sin?

James 1:1-7 also has something to say about both wisdom and faith during times of trials and testing …

"My brethren, count it all joy when ye fall into divers temptations; (various tests) Knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing.
If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth (this wisdom) to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; (rail at or chide) and it shall be given him.
But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.
For let not that man think that he shall receive any thing of the Lord."


I am of the opinion that the wisdom James is speaking about is the wisdom needed when we face these times of testing and even temptations; perhaps the temptation to quit and give up. This wisdom will help you really understand the problem, and will help you direct your faith to God. When the Disciples asked Jesus to increase their faith, He basically told them to plant it like a seed and it would grow; in other words put it to use. That's how your faith becomes … unwavering … you exercise it.

But I don't believe Jesus ever intended for us to change the landscape by literally moving mountains or plucking up trees by their roots. He did teach by parables you know; and I believe that's what we have here.

Concerning my personal mountain … praying for the healing of others; is it always because of unbelief … when nothing happens? If what I have suggested in this study is true; then the main reason we don't see every request for healing answered is because of the mountain of unbelief; if so then case closed, that explains it … but I don't think it's that easy.

If God so chooses … is still my answer. As I said in the beginning, something just isn't right. Not with God … the problem is with us.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been told by many people that I'm analytical...my heritage from you. :) However, I've found that when dealing with God, analytical doesn't work. It causes me to question EVERYTHING. God has told me over & over "My burden is easy. It's YOU who is making this thing hard!" I'm also dealing with a lack of faith, so much so that last week I flat out told the Lord I was "done." Not with Him, but done praying for "this thing." A few hours later in church, our Pastor briefly mentioned a scripture that commanded attention in my heart. It was out of 1 Samuel and it said "As for me, far be it from me that I should sin against the Lord by failing to pray for you." Point taken. ok - I'll pray, but what do I do with this unbelief? Then the pastor gave an testimony from someone who had written him...

A woman was making her daily commute to work with her daughter in the back seat. The little girl was around 6 yrs old and noticed a new billboard advertising cigarettes. The girl questioned why anyone would advertise something that could kill you. The mother explained that it makes people money. And the girl simply said "Well, I don't like it, and I'm going to pray that God makes it fall down." The mother chuckled to herself and let it go. A few days went by and soon they noticed the top corner of the billboard was beginning to peel. Day by day it peeled further & further, and by the end of that week, it had fallen down and there was a new add that read "Advertise here!"

Child-like faith. That's all I want.

p.s. This past Sunday, the Lord reminded me of Philippians 1:6, but emphasized for me to back up to vs. 4, something I had never given any attention to: vs. 6 says "He who began a good work will carry it on to completion." However vs. 4 says "I always pray with joy..." oh! Joy. Who would've thought.
Also, Habakkuk 3:17-18 "Though the fig tree does not bud and there are no grapes on the vines, though the olive crop fails and the fields produce no food, though there are no sheep in the pen and no cattle in the stalls, YET I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior."

Following Him said...

Tara, concerning Moving Mountains …

You said … I've found that when dealing with God, being analytical doesn't work.

Analytical … separating the whole of a fact into its elemental parts or basic principles. Yes, I do try to do this … even with faith. Why do I do this?

Probably for two reasons …
1.) Because God said … Come let us reason together. (Analytically?)
2.) Because I'm looking for a reason not to use … faith … it's too hard and that puts the blame for failure back on me. I'm looking for a way out if the answer doesn't come; such as … it must not have been the Lord's will.

You also said … I'm also dealing with a lack of faith. Last week I flat out told the Lord I was done. Not with Him, but done praying for whatever it was at the time. You followed up with … But what do I do with this unbelief?

Lack of faith? Doesn't that depend on what you are believing God for? Let's look at that and try to make it simple. You know me … simple mind, simple example.

You don't, but let's say you have really big feet and you would like them to be smaller … because of pride. I could be wrong; but I believe you could pray with all the faith you have without any doubt or unbelief in asking God for smaller feet … and your feet would stay the same, no change.

Why? You're praying for the wrong thing. Why not pray that God would help you to accept yourself as He made you … big feet and all. I don't think God cares about the size of our feet.

Analytical … I suppose so. But it works for me most of the time.

What do I do with this unbelief? Do just what James said to do … ask God for His wisdom in whatever you are struggling with at the time. Ask Him … Lord, am I praying for Your Will in this situation and not my own? He doesn't mind honest questions.

In fact let me tell you what I felt like the Lord wanted me to put in this last study on moving mountains. I don't feel that I have the complete answer on this yet, so I didn't, but I'll give you my first thoughts and you can work out the rest for yourself through the Holy Spirit.

I'm thinking … when we receive these great answers to prayer through our faith; could it be our great faith was not just our personal faith in God … but The Gift of Faith that Paul spoke about. This is an added faith given by the Holy Spirit Himself when He deems it necessary … a gift for you to use for a certain time or purpose. God's faith added to yours … that's why it works.

Again, I don't know, it's just a thought … but that might help explain why some answers to prayer come and others don't.

This is the type of faith that says … I don't know why, I just believe. I know that I know that I know … and you can't be shaken in that faith. You just believe.

I've said before … I trust God for His care, more than I believe Him for His care.

Why? Again … for me it's easier. Believing is hard work; simple trust is easier.

I don't have any answers for you concerning faith or the lack thereof. Believing grows faith. Doubt grows into unbelief … and we know what that gets you.

NOTHING.

Unknown said...

I absolutely understand & believe what you're saying about added faith from the HS. I'm currently in a bible study that studies all the different gifts of the Spirit, week by week. A couple weeks ago, we studied Faith. A man there (Thomas) gave a testimony of a time when someone had gone to the hospital for something very serious and the doctors did not expect him to live more than a few days. Thomas immediately felt the HS come upon him and KNEW he was to go to the man's side, lay hands on him and pray with authority that they did not accept this illness and he WOULD be made well. He said the room was full of people who were in disbelief, nurses were bumping into him trying work, etc., which normally, that would cause anyone to have a hard time praying, right? That was his point. He said he took no notice or regard of the people in the room. He was so full of faith at that very moment that he was able to pray fervently in spite of all that was going on around him. The next day, the man actually got worse, but by the end of the week, he was discharged and sent home.

A couple weeks later, the same man was back in the hospital again with another illness, however unrelated to the 1st one. He wanted Thomas to come pray again, however this time, the HS did not bring the gift of faith. Thomas did go, and he did try to pray, but this time he said it was completely different...he was very aware of all the people in the room and was unable to offer up that fervent prayer. The "gift of Faith" was not given at that time.

I thought that was an amazing testimony that really helped me to understand why sometimes I feel so empowered when I pray, and other times I just don't. I'm shuffling for words, I'm wondering what people are thinking....and it goes nowhere. It really helped me to understand that "gift" and that it is very much different than regular faith.

Back to analytical...all I know (I know that I know that I know)is that it has most definitely gotten in the way in my own walk and I have asked God to soften me in that area. And as I said before, He has rebuked me more than once for making walking with Him too hard. That's not what He wants and He has not called me to understand all of His ways. He has called me to "know Him" -- that's different. I still say "child-like faith." It's easier FOR ME and I'm sticking with it! (At least I'm going to try. ugh!)

Unknown said...

Also, as I mentioned my bible study on the different gifts of the Spirit, we have also studied the gift of Healing. One thing that was pointed out in my class is that sometimes when we pray for healing and it doesn't come, it doesn't necessarily mean it was something on our end. They said it could be something on the other person's end (the person you're praying for). Of course I can't find my notes from the class to say what those things might be, but I definitely remember them saying it's very possible that something in their own life can prevent the healing from happening. Don't always assume it's your lack of faith.

I will also say they taught never to pray "if it be thy will" prayers. It's always God's will to heal. I know you have argued this point and that you disagree. I do however feel that can be a cop-out if your miracle doesn't happen - kind of your "cover" in case you really do lack the faith. "Well, it just wasn't God's will." As I was also told "We will never understand healing this side of heaven." THAT I agree with.

Peggy M said...

Tara, your message reminded me of something I had nearly forgotten.

I think, as you girls were growing up, that most of the answers to my prayers always seemed to come after I had stopped praying about it. I would pray and pray, and seemingly nothing would happen. Then I would just let it rest with God. I don't know how many times, something would happen and I would then look back and realize it was exactly what I had prayed for a while back.

Maybe there is something here I need to give some prayer and thought to, as I have been in the same place as your father when it came to believing God for answers. I can easily say I trust Him, but what else can we do? It's another thing entirely to believe Him for a specific thing I am praying for. I keep feeling I am missing something very important, and continue to pray and ask the Lord to show me where I need to change in my belief, or my approach, or whatever area I am missing it. This has sort of become rambling, but I guess that is how it is in my head too. Just sort of bouncing around in there.

The scripture you mentioned (Habakkuk 3:17-18)has tripped a trigger in my heart as He has been dealing with me about worshiping Him and rejoicing no matter what is going on around me. That is a good one to meditate.

As to what we should do with our unbelief, I have started praying as the man said to Jesus, "Lord, I believe. Help thou my unbelief." Jesus didn't rebuke him in any way, so I feel it is an accepted way to pray and I trust Him to help me learn how to pray those "effectual, fervent" prayers.

Following Him said...

On healing …

Is it always God will to heal? All my life I have heard that statement. Just speak the word and you obligate God to do it. It sounds good … but it's not reality.

When praying for healing it must be understood that healing has this restriction; that they will be restored to health if … it shall be the will of God; and if … He shall deem it for the best. It can not be taken in the absolute and unconditional sense, for then, if these means were used, the sick person would ALWAYS recover, no matter how often he might be sick, and he need NEVER die.

Yes, God heals us. That has never been in question. I just question if what we think are promises, aren't really something else. That would explain why it is so hard to receive our healing EVERY TIME, if it is not promised every time, in EVERY SITUATION like salvation is.

I'd like to believe James 5:14-15 is only about healing, but it also talks about the forgiving of sins which is more important than healing. I WANT TO BELIEVE that every time you are anointed with oil … the Lord WILL raise you up, that you ARE healed every time … but IT ISN'T SO, is it?

I wonder when dealing with healing, if we shouldn't be like Isaiah when he said this …"I will wait for the Lord, Who is hiding His face … and I will look for and
hope in Him."

Solomon said … "For all this I considered in my heart … that the righteous, and
the wise, and their works, are in the hand of God …"

God said to Moses …"I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will
have compassion on whom I will have compassion."

This last verse is stated by Paul in Romans 9:15, as he is basically putting Exodus 33:19 into his own words. The sense of the passage is CLEARLY THIS… that God would choose the objects of his favor, and bestow His mercies as He chooses.

No man deserves His favor; and He has a right to save or heal whom He pleases, and to do this on His own terms according to His sovereign will and pleasure.

"On whom I will have mercy." Maybe this should read this way…

"On whom I CHOOSE to have mercy."

Could there be a more positive declaration of this truth than the following four statements…
(1) That God does it as sovereign, without giving an account of the reason of His choice to any.
(2) That God does it without regard to any claim on the part of man as having a right to His mercy.
(3) That God will do it to any extent which He pleases, and in whatever time and manner that may be in accord with His own will.
And the last and most important …
(4) That no one has a right to complain.

Basically God is saying … I am a debtor to none of my creatures. I will give my healing in my own way and on my own terms.

Unknown said...

Agreed. However if I believe that God might will someone remain sick, it causes that seed of doubt to remain as a shadow in my mind as I'm trying to pray. Maybe it's for my own "faith" or hope of faith, but when I am going to pray (specifically for healing - and I'm not talking about big feet), I have to pray, be it for myself, under the belief that God does not will us to remain sick. Otherwise, how am I to pray with full faith that God will do this? Any thinking that causes my God to be limited or a less than gracious God, when the Word tells me that He is abounding in love & compassion, that thought is something I must abandon. I have to be able to put my FULL hope in Jesus without any partiality. If I leave room for "if it be thy will", then I also must leave room for doubt. As Beth Moore has said, it's always better to have error'd on the side of faith. Does that mean my prayers will be answered the way I want them to every single time? No! But it helps me a great deal to know there are many factors at work and that I offered the prayer in full faith in Jesus that He CAN do it and yes, that He WILL do it. Maybe that's key...we are not telling God what to do, but we are saying "God, we know you CAN! And because you delight in me, and I in You, I am asking You to release Your favor."

I will also say that I too have recently meditated on the scripture "I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion," but as I read it, I was not brought to the assumption that He might not will to heal. I read it from the opposite direction that because He delights in me and because the prayers of a righteous person availith much, He will have compassion. If I am praying simply because I want to see a miracle or want to be connected to a miracle, then my will does not line up with Jesus. I must be praying from a heart of love.

Back to child-like faith...as I was reading mom's response & thinking about the little girl and the billboard, it suddenly occurred to me that in my own prayer life, I too have seen many things happen thru prayer when I prayed about it, and then simply left it in the hands of Jesus. The last few weeks I had poured out my own blood, sweat & tears...anointing, fasting, declaring, rebuking...and I didn't see the results I wanted. Then God showed me it was because I was relying on my "works." ugh! Does it not say in the Word to do all these things? Yes it does! So what went wrong? I had put my faith in my works rather than in God. So now I'm back to square one, offering up that child-like prayer and LEAVING IT. Yes, I'm still praying every day for this thing, but it's a simple prayer at the start of the morning, not the exhausting-type prayer all throughout the day. "My yoke is easy." Lighten up! (I'm saying that to myself.)

Following Him said...

Tara ...

I completely agree with all that you have said; I don't have a problem with any of it. You're 100% correct about the heart of God.

You are also correct about how to believe when praying ... we can not ask God to heal if we don't think it is His will; we can't ask for God's will to be two things at the same time.

I look at things ONLY in black or white. I don't see gray ... sorry.

In a perfect world, even if we were 100 years old, God could and would heal us and restore us to perfect health AND THEN LET US GO TO SLEEP IN HIM and die and go to Heaven.

But that doesn't happen to most of us. Something causes us to die, usually it's just our bodies wearing out that causes us to get sick and quit working as we get older.

It's these kind of things that God just allows to happen without restoring us with healing.

We have to die sometime. I know people say ... don't die sick, get healed and then die ... but it's the Lord that has the power of life and death, and Him alone.

Anyway, it sounds like you have already worked out in your own heart all that is needed to continue following the Holy Spirit on a case by case basis.

My advice to all I counsel ... PRAY, TRUST GOD, GO ON.