Sunday, October 26, 2008

Man's Will

In the daily battle that exists between our spirit and our flesh, there is a third participant that plays a large part in that warfare … our will.

Some people believe our will is the real problem concerning the choices we make in life, choices that can be good or bad. I want to address this view and see what the Word of God has to tell us about this subject.

Romans 7:14-21 … "For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.
For that which I do, I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for … TO WILL … is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me."

Paul begins this passage by informing us that it is his carnal state that he is about to describe, saying (my translation) … "But I am still yet in a carnal state." In these verses he states the contrast between himself, (his will) which wants to do right; and the carnal man, (his flesh) which is in opposition to the spiritual things of God. This is a spiritual law of nature, a fact … man is fallen.

Vs. 14 ..."For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin."

The law is not to be considered as a system of external rites and ceremonies; it is a spiritual yardstick; it measures and condemns everything … every work, thought or action; and in and of itself, the law leaves no hope of pardon.

"But I am carnal, sold under sin" … Paul is stating this fact; whether we like it or not, as long as we are in the flesh, we are carnal; just as if we have been sold into sin by nature. Paul is not saying that he is still in his old unregenerated state as he was before he was born again. I believe he is teaching that even after the new birth we still have to do battle with our "unsaved" bodies.

Paul speaks of this again in Romans 8:7 …" the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be."

The soul (where your mind and appetites dwell) has no authority over the lusts and appetites of the body; reason cannot govern passion. The carnal mind will make provision for the flesh to fulfill its appetites; it minds the things of the flesh, and is at enmity (is hostile) towards God.

Vs. 15 …"For that which I (the carnal man) do, I (the spirit man) allow not: for what I would (what my spirit wills), that do I not (my body won't obey); but what I hate (my spirit man), that do I (the carnal man)."

Here, Paul states that he is two persons, representing two different and opposite principles. The spirit man "wills" and chooses what the other carnal man does not practice. These two are in total opposition, counteracting each other as they reside in the same person.

The "will" wants to please God, but the carnal man, called "sin" in the next verse wants the flesh to rule.

Vs. 17 …"Now then, it is no more I that do it, but Sin that dwelleth in me."

The "I" that he speaks of here is his spirit man, (his will) who is opposed to the indwelling sin (of the fallen nature) that causes his flesh, the carnal man to sin.

In his letter to the Galatians, Paul said in Chapter 5 verse 17 … "For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would."

Our problem is not our … "will." The problem is our … "flesh."

Vs. 18 …"For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for … to will … is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not."


"For to will is present with me" … by saying this he shows that the "will" is on the side of God and consents to obedience; it's the "soul" of man, which includes the mind; both being separate from the "will," both the soul and mind seemingly capable of anything but … knowing, fearing, loving, and serving God.

And the "soul" is not only incapable of serving God; but rebels against God; for the carnal mind is not subject to the law of God, neither can it be.

Vs. 19 …"For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do."

"For the good that I would I do not"
… Here again is proof that the "will" is on the side of God.

"But the evil which I would not" … And here is proof that the "will" is against, or opposed to evil. It is not the "will" that leads men astray; but the passions of the flesh … which oppose and oppress the "will."

The "will"… this almost only friend to God in the human soul, has been slandered as God’s worst enemy, when it is the "soul" that is completely fallen.

The "soul" … which contains our appetites and desires of the flesh, has no power to do good until it receives that power from God. It's by the "renewing of our mind" that allows our "soul" to consent to our "will."

Please take note … The "will" can consent to sin; and because it is "will," because it is "free will," it must possess this power; yet at the same time it is impossible to "force it" to sin. Even Satan himself can not do this; and before he can get it to sin, he must get "its consent." Your …"will"… can be worn down. Therefore we need to be on guard.

Vs. 20 …"Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me."

"It is no more I" … My "will" is against it; my reason and conscience condemn it.

"But sin that dwelleth in me"the principle of sin, has possessed all my carnal appetites and passions, and the sin nature dominates my soul.

Vs. 21 …"I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me."

"I find then a law" … I am in such a condition (a law of nature) under the power of sin, that …"when I would do good"… when my "will" is intent on obedience to God and is in opposition to sin …"evil is present with me"… evil is in my flesh.

Just as the "will" to do good is constantly at hand, the principle of sin is also equally present in us … but, if the …"wills" desire … is all you have to work with, without God's power to "do what is willed," to perform what your "will" desired … the sin nature in your flesh will continue to prevail.

In all these things the "born-again" man is the reverse; the Spirit of God dwells in him and his soul (and will) has dominion over the appetites of the body and his passions submit to his "will", and he, by the Spirit, mortifies (puts to death) the deeds of the flesh.

Three things man can and should learn …

1.) Discover that in man, in his flesh, there is no good thing.

2.) Learn to distinguish between man's spirit who "wills" to do good, and the "sin" nature which dwells in man's flesh.

3.) When man "wills" to do good, sin is too strong for him. Having this knowledge of himself, he seeks not to be better in the flesh, but seeks "deliverance" from his flesh.

And how do you get deliverance?

God's answer is always … Jesus.

No comments: