Monday, June 30, 2008

The 23rd Psalm

Psalm 23:1 … " The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want."

The word LORD is to be understood as Jehovah the Son, not Jehovah the Father. It is most frequently ascribed unto Jesus, the good Shepherd, for which He is abundantly qualified. Being omniscient, He knows all His sheep, where to find them, and what is to be done for them; He being omnipotent, having all power in heaven and in earth can protect, defend, and save them. David calls Him "my shepherd."

"I shall not want" … is the main idea in this psalm, and this idea is derived from the fact that God is a shepherd; meaning that God, as a shepherd, would make all needed provision for His flock, and properly care for that flock. The words "I shall not want" should refer to everything that could be desired, pertaining to the body and soul; even in reference to time and eternity. The idea is that God would always provide all that is needed.

One other thought that comes from the phrase, "I shall not want" is this … I shall not want for more than my Shepherd gives me. It is implied, more than it is expressed … I shall be supplied with whatever I need … and if not everything I desire, I may conclude it is either not fit for me or not good for me … therefore "I shall not want it."

Psalm 23:2 … "He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: He leadeth me beside the still waters."

The green pastures mentioned are not for food, for that will come later in this psalm; these pastures are places of cool and refreshing rest, where one lies at ease. According to its primary meaning in Hebrew, it's a dwelling place, specifically an oasis in the desert where the weary finds much needed rest. The sheep are made to "lie down" in complete safety, satisfied the Shepherd will watch over His flock.

If Jesus is our Shepherd, might He not also make His sheep lie down, even when they may not want to, so He can quiet their minds and ease their souls.

He leads me beside "the still waters," which mean "waters of rest and quietness." The waters that the Shepherd takes His sheep to are still waters, pure and clear, almost motionless, a gentle stream that flows by softly, quietly so as not to upset or frighten the sheep as they drink from it.

Psalm 23:3 … "He restoreth my soul: He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name's sake."

"He restoreth" … after God, our Shepherd guides us to the green pastures beside the still waters, He then restores, and refreshes our soul, (our mind and thoughts) where the battles of the enemy usually take place. The word restore means … "to recover, to bring back what ever has been lost, to get ones self back again." Literally … He causes my life to return.

"My soul" … during this time of rest, the Shepherd brings a new vitality, a new appetite for life back to His sheep in His pasture. The reference to the soul could be one wandering or backsliding from God and needing to be restored; but could just as well mean the human spirit and soul, exhausted, wearied, troubled, anxious, worn down with the cares and toil of life. Both will find what they need in their Shepherd.

Here is where the analogy of men as sheep changes more to just men. Natural sheep don't care about righteousness or things done for His name's sake. Of course some men don't care either, so the sheep analogy may not be too far off after all.

"He leadeth me" … He leads me in the straight and narrow path of righteousness (uprightness and right standing with Him) down the right paths, or in the right ways. He does not permit me to wander in ways that would lead me to ruin. He guides me in the way that leads to heaven along with His constant care in that path. God wants to keep all of His sheep from harm; and when relating to man that translates … from sin.

"For His name’s sake" … Why? To display His grace, and that His name may be honored. It has nothing to do with any merit of man. God’s motives of conduct concerning His sheep are solely from the goodness of the Shepherd's own nature in making known His own character and heart of love. If the lost sheep of the world could only see the love in the Shepherd's heart, and know of the care given to His sheep they also would want to join His flock.

"For His name’s sake" means … on account of, or purpose for. What purpose would God have for keeping His name honored? What name must man be saved by? That name is Jesus … the Lamb slain for us; the Good Shepherd Himself dying for His sheep … man. David who was a shepherd boy himself, wrote one thousand years before Jesus was born … that God wanted to keep His name honored and Holy; because that name would be … "above any name that could be named" … in Heaven or in earth. I have no idea as to whether or not David knew that he was speaking with that purpose, on account of that name.

Psalm 23:4 … "Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me."

"though I walk through …" meaning (even though, forasmuch, when, and while) I walk through … literally (to go forward, travel, be a wayfaring man, to wander) through … which means … (I will come out of this valley, I won't stay in it.)

"I will fear no evil" or the evil one Satan, who's name means … "the one who lies in wait" … the enemy of the sheep, who comes to steal, kill and destroy; who goes about as a roaring lion seeking whom he may devour. But since the Shepherd is by my side, I'm able to say … I will not fear.

I must remember I am not alone as I walk through life, which I am sure has more than just one valley ahead of me; for my Shepherd is with me leading and guiding me in the paths of righteousness, even though that path may lead me into a valley that looks like … sure death; but as it turns out, it is only going to be a "shadow" that falls over me.

"for thou art with me" … I shall not go through this valley alone. I can be assured that if God is with me I have nothing to dread there. Jesus, my Shepherd will be my companion, comforter, protector, and guide.

One might even apply this to the dying man going into the dark "valley of death" alone. His family and friends accompany him as far as they can, and then they must let him go on alone. They can comfort him with their voices until he becomes deaf to all sounds. They can stay close to him so he can look upon their faces until he can see no more, and then he seems to be alone. But the dying believer is not alone. His Shepherd is with him in that valley, and will never leave him. This is one valley each one of us will go through.

Even in death, it is still the right path; it is a path of safety and it will take me to where I want to go. In that dark and gloomy valley, unable to guide myself, I will not be afraid of wandering or of being lost while under the guidance and protection of my Shepherd.

One other reason I am not afraid when the Shepherd is with me is because He carries a big stick … a rod and a staff; and He knows how to use them both. I am under His care and protection. The Shepherd with His rod can defend His sheep and drive away any predator that would prey upon the flock; and with His staff, He directs the sheep where to go, and retrieves back those that go astray.

We are not to suppose or worry that the rod is meant for correction; it is only used for the sheep's protection. How could His rod and staff be of comfort to me if they are used to punish or beat me down?

The two words "rod and staff," are denoting the same thing … both designating God's loving pastoral care over His sheep. We need pastors today that have a shepherd's heart.

Psalm 23:5 … "Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over."

The image now changes to show the provision of the Shepherd, the Lord God, and His care unto David, which could be one of the reasons for him to say in the first verse of this psalm … "I shall not want."

Picture the setting … a lush green pasture beside a gentle stream that flows by softly, quietly bringing a restful peace to David's spirit and soul. David has just passed through this dark valley with its shadows, and now he finds this table of plenty in the middle of this field where God has chosen to restore David's body and soul. If David had been a sheep, the grass and stream would have been enough; but he is a man, therefore he needs more … and more he receives.

"Thou preparest a table" … David acknowledges that it is the Lord that sets up, arranges, puts in order and prepares a table; more than just a meal … by the words used, (from the Hebrew) it is a feast that is spread out "before him" in the presence of David's enemies who are not invited to this feast. The wording here shows his enemies to be on the other side of the stream, within sight of God's blessings, but still able to view all that is going on.

"… in the presence of mine enemies" … continuing with the Hebrew meanings of the words … "before me" and "in the presence of," I come away with this notion or thought; it's as though God, while serving David this feast, came up to the table in front of David, looked him square in the face, and then turned and "looked" at all of David's enemies that were standing "in front" of David, facing him; but being on the opposite side of this flowing stream, they could only view what was going on. I do not know what kind of "look" God gave all those who were David's enemies, but I'm sure they got the message.

Now that I think about it, I wonder if God wasn't telling them with that look … "See how much I love my sheep and how I supply all their need."

Think about it … we should be the ones who serve God; but here God is pictured as the servant of man. This is a shadow and type of Jesus at the Last Supper before He became the Lamb that was slain for our sin.

David was talking about enemies that he could see, physical men he could fight.
The word "enemies" used here means literally … adversary, one who "binds up," afflicts and oppresses. David's enemies are a perfect picture of our adversary, the devil, Satan himself, that old serpent; and I am convinced that today the green pasture that God has led us to, has a snake hiding in the grass, and he is … "lying in wait."

I'd like to give one side thought here on the two words "binds up." Satan wants to bind us up with chains, to hold us in captivity; compare that with our Shepherd who comes to heal and bind (wrap up) our bloody wounds, the ones we may have received from the captive chains of the enemy.

Continue with the picture; God sets a table before us in our green pasture, with our enemy, who we can't see with our natural eye, still there, hiding like a snake in the grass. But here is where I have a small problem today with the analogy of Jesus as our Shepherd. A shepherd of natural sheep would use his rod to kill a predator like a snake. God knows that we have a spiritual predator hiding in the grass that can do more harm to us than a physical predator; but He leaves it up to us to fight him off. Yes, I know He has given us weapons to fight with … but we are supposed to be sheep, and sheep don't fight.

Remember, "We wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness …" (Proof that it's not man we fight against.)

"thou anointest my head with oil" … to honor with the custom of anointing the head with perfumed oil of olive and pine as an indication of prosperity and rejoicing. Oil was poured on heads so abundantly that the expression in Hebrew means "to make fat" which indicates abundance. David was indicating that he was abundantly blessed by God.

David, blessed so much by God that he could not contain it all, must shout out … "my cup runneth over." He can't contain within himself the joy, the anointing of the Lord that he feels from the honor God has bestowed upon him. It wouldn't matter whether David had a small cup or a barrel, any container of any size wouldn't just be filled, it would be overflowing with God's goodness. It means his cup didn't run over only one time when it was filled, spilling just a little bit, but rather his cup was continually overflowing without end.

The phrase … "runneth over" … in Hebrew means satisfied. The container, the cup he was talking about was his own body, soul and spirit … satisfied with the way God was filling his cup, his "life" to overflowing; which by the way is exactly what Jesus promised for us. Didn't He say one of the reasons He came was … "that we might have life more abundantly." We still cannot hold all that the Lord God wants to give us today. He is Jehovah-Jireh ... Provider ... "more than enough."

Psalm 23:6 … "Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever."

The last verse of this psalm starts out with a Hebrew word that is an "affirmation" … the word "surely" (certainly, of a truth, at the least, only) … "goodness and mercy" shall follow me. God's goodness and mercy can't help but follow David. This is the effect that God’s prior dealings with him as his Shepherd had left on him; the assurance that as his Shepherd He would never leave him, or leave him in want. This one last statement of David's about goodness and mercy is the result of what is stated in all the previous verses.

I remember hearing someone say once that "goodness and mercy" were God's two sheep dogs that followed His sheep wherever they went. I don't know about that, could be; but I prefer to think of them as an example, a type of the "Rock" that followed the Israelites all the way through the wilderness, till they came to the Promised Land. That Rock was Jesus, our Shepherd. Our wilderness, our valley is our walk through this life that God has set before us. Our promise land is Heaven.

"… all the days of my life … " as many as God gives me will be enough; a period of time, from one sunset to the next, as many as remain, all the days. David is ending this psalm the same way he started it. "I shall not want." Not even for length of days; how ever many God gives me, I will be satisfied with. His days will come to an end … David knew that; and when they do …

"… I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever." "Dwell" … its meaning is to settle in, to remain, and to abide there forever … a long length of time … eternity.

"Forever" … is a long, long time. Forever … with Jesus our Shepherd.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This one really blessed me. Again, great writing.