Friday, August 15, 2014

Jesus Only



I don't teach "Jesus Only." 

But, I do believe that the Trinity … the Father, Son and Holy Spirit are all one in the Godhead, with each one having their own distinction and purpose.  No, I can't explain how that can be, but the answer to each question below is found in Scripture.  For clarity, I have highlighted each answer in bold print …

Who is the creator?  Jesus.  Who is the Lamb of God?  Jesus.  Who died on the cross?  Jesus.  Who is the Healer?  Jesus.  Who is seated on the Mercy Seat?  Jesus.  Who is coming back for His church?  Jesus.  Who has been given all power both in Heaven and in Earth?  Jesus.  Who is the same yesterday, today and forever?  Jesus.  Who ever lives to make intercession for you?  Jesus.  Who is Lord?  Jesus.

Do I see only "Jesus" most of the time?  Yes … I admit I do.  Do you want to know more about God?  Then look at Jesus.

But first, let's look again at … God Himself.

I correspond with a Jewish lady who knows the Jesus story very well.  I am interested in her Jewish faith and why she believes as she does.  One of my questions to her was ...

"Why don't Jewish people believe that Jesus is the son of God?"

She wrote back ... "Jews don't believe in a plural God.  Deuteronomy 6:4 states ... 'the LORD our God is one LORD.'  We don't accept the teaching of a Trinity ... God is one."

Well, it's kind of hard to argue against that point when she has scripture.  In fact, later I found out that Jesus quoted that very scripture in Mark 12:29.  That presents one big hurdle to get beyond when trying to share the gospel with Jewish people.  Of course Jesus was alluding to the fact that He was one with His Father.

So ... what do we know about this one God?  Personally, I agree with the Jews that there is but one living and true God ... but as I have already stated ... I see Him in the person of Jesus.

I question if we will every see "God" Himself, or as Jesus described Him ... God the Father.  Oh, I am confident that we will see Jesus in His glorified physical body as the Son of God, the resurrected Christ, and as far as I know, Jesus will continue to be who He is forever ... the Lord of Heaven and earth.  And forever is a long, long time.

Believe it or not, I do have somewhat of a reason why I question being able to see God the Father.  The scripture states that God is a spirit ... therefore as a spirit He would be invisible to the natural eye.  As a spirit He would be without a physical body with a measured dimension, having no limits or boundaries, filling the universe with His presence and measuring it with the span of His hand.  (Isaiah 40:12)

Being a spirit explains David speaking to God in Psalm 139:8 ... "If I ascend up to heaven you are there; if I make my bed in hell you are there."

The Apostle Paul in comparing Jesus with God, describes Jesus this way in Colossians 1:15 … "He is the exact likeness of the unseen God, the visible representation of the invisible …"  (Amp.)

Notice the two descriptive words Paul uses to describe God ... unseen and invisible.  Of course, in the eternal realm after the resurrection of the dead, we will be made like Jesus, having glorified bodies, perhaps then we may be able to look upon God the Father.  But until then ... we look to Jesus.

God has also been called immutable, which means ... unchangeable.  In Malachi 3:6 God said ... "I change not."  When something man makes needs a "change," the reason is usually to bring improvement, to make it better, or to make it more useful.  Not so with God.  He is perfect in all His ways.  No improvement needed.   

In my previous post, I stated that one of the many reasons God sent Jesus into the world was so we might know Him, meaning knowing God better.  Most people that don't know Him yet today, have a mistaken view of God as someone to be feared, not loved.

All they need to do is ... look at Jesus ... not the outward form of the man, but as the Son of God, who is the visible representation of God's nature and character ... the unchanging, perfect love of God.  Every thought, action and deed performed by either Jesus or God the Father was always for the benefit of man.  Is there a greater proof of God's love than what we find in ...

John 3:16 ... "For God so loved the world, that He sent His only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him (Jesus) should not perish, but have eternal life." 

It was God's plan.  It was God's own will to bruise His Son.  God provided "Himself" as the Lamb to be slain for sin.  (Genesis 22:8)

So ... how are we to picture Jesus?  As the sacrificial lamb?  The lion of the tribe of Judah?  A humble servant?  King of Kings?  These are all good.  How do I see Jesus?

I see Jesus as ... God.  Period.  He is my Lord.  He is my God.  And God the Father is well pleased in Him.  "There is no other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."  (Acts 4:12)

I even see Jesus in the Old Testament everywhere the Angel of the Lord appeared to man.  The Angel of the Lord never again appears in scripture after Jesus is born of Mary.  Why is that?  For me, it's proof that Jesus was the Angel of the Lord.

Jesus was not the Son of God ... until He was born of Mary.  (Psalms 2:7 & Hebrews 1:5)

Until then ... He was the Word of God.  He walked with Adam in the garden, appeared as the Captain of the Lord's hosts, was the forth man in the fiery furnace, and He was the one who handed Moses the Book of the Law.

And then the Word was made flesh.  (John 1:1 & 14)

Do I see only "Jesus" most of the time?  Yes … I admit I do.

Not "Jesus Only" ... but ... only Jesus.  He's the one I know. 



(Comments are welcome, and will be posted by moderator.)

No comments: