Thursday, November 14, 2013

How To Trust Jesus With No Incontinence Required


Growing up amongst a charismatic church movement, I was occasionally exposed to things that made me uncomfortable.  Expressions I naturally accepted in my youth I began to question as my intellect matured and my personality uncovered its cynical side.

Hyper-emotionalism.

Awkward "prophetic" utterances.

Even a woman who claimed to wet her pants every time the "Spirit fell" on her.  (I wish I was joking.)

I never openly rebelled against things, I just quietly severed my heart from the most embarrassing of the chicanery, and subliminally embraced a much more sane and sober understanding of how humanity can connect with the Divine.  For the most part, I'm glad I did.  I mean really, who wants a relationship with God that requires an endless supply of adult diapers?

But in my noble desire to avoid crazy, I sometimes wonder if I unintentionally neutered my belief in the Supernatural altogether.

Salvation became about self-discipline.

Strength a product of my will.

And wisdom solely a reward for diligence.

And while no one would sanely malign hard work, persistent preparation, or inner courage, I think we mistakenly look only to ourselves as the source of these outflows.  And when we do, we miss out on the powerful promise of the Gospel.

"Answer this question: Does the God who lavishly provides you with His own presence, His Holy Spirit, working things in your lives you could never do for yourselves, does He do these things because of your strenuous moral striving or because you trust Him to do them in you?" ... (Galatians 3:5 MSG)

"The LORD gives His people strength.  The LORD blesses them with peace." ... (Psalm 29:11)

"If any of you lack wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you."  ... (James 1:5)

His work.  His strength.  His wisdom.  For your job, your family, your community, your ministry.  Offered to us as a gift

Just ask.

I long to tap into this life that is so much greater than what I can conjure up on my own.  Normal.  Everyday.  Supernatural.

No incontinence required.


From the "Eric Cooper" blog.

                                                          ~~~~~~

From me to you ... No, I didn't post this just to take a break from writing something this week.  It grabbed my attention, because I was raised in the same kind of church ... and had the same questions and feelings as this young man had.

It spoke to me.

Eric Cooper can take just a thought and turn it into an article that brings introspection to your life.  I usually can't do that.  It seems as though I must find a scripture to write about that the Lord wants to add to my life.
 
I love how Eric can be so simple but yet profound.  You may want to check out what else this man of God has to say.

Here's the address to his web page ... beyondtherisk.com 

No comments: