Friday, September 20, 2013

Because You Can


I knew a man who loved to worship God in the power and anointing of the Holy Spirit.  And he still does yet today.  But some things have changed in his life that have affected his outward style of worship.

Physical symptoms indicating there was a problem with the movements of his arms appeared.  Various tests indicated an undesirable situation ... a nerve condition affecting the muscles.  He was told as the condition worsened, he would lose strength and have limited movement of his limbs.  He was slowly becoming physically handicapped.  

Ten years ago in a worship service, he would do exactly what Psalms 134:2 says ... "Lift up your hands in the sanctuary, and bless the Lord."

My brother in Christ loved to praise his Savior and Lord.  It is scriptural you know.  The Apostle Paul said in 1st Timothy 2:8, that ... "men everywhere should lift up holy hands" ... speaking of prayer.  So why not during worship as well?

The teaching and preaching of the Word involves the mind of man; but true worship comes from the heart.  Lamentations 3:41 ... "Let us lift up our heart with our hands unto God in the heavens."     

Jeremiah alludes to the lifting up of the heart by the hands ... not merely the hands only.  By doing so, it is as if you take your heart in your hands, and raise it in praise and worship to God.  It is with the heart that we believe and worship.

No one could articulate praise like David.  Here in Psalms 143:6, he presents another picture of worship when he says ... "I stretch forth my hands unto thee: my soul thirsteth after thee, as a thirsty land."

When David says, I "stretch forth" my hands, the original meaning is to ... "break apart, to open up, spread out and stretch forth" ... arms wide open ready to receive and soak up spiritual water from the Lord.

King David's son, also used this same gesture when he dedicated the new Temple unto God in 1st Kings 8:22-23 ... "And Solomon stood before the altar of the Lord in the presence of all the congregation of Israel, and spread forth his hands toward heaven: and said ..."

The brother I am speaking about, used to do this very same thing before he lost the ability to do so.  Most of us still have that ability don't we.

Today, if he could he would gladly follow what it says in Psalms 63:4 ... "Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name."

Only he can't.  He tries.  Unless God heals him, there will be no more of the lifting of the hands on this side of Heaven.  But that can't stop him from worshiping with what he has left.  His heart.

Psalms 104:33 ... "I will sing unto the Lord as long as I live: I will sing praise to my God while I have my being."

Psalms 145:2 ... "Everyday will I bless thee; and I will praise thy name forever and ever."

Psalms 146:1-2 ... "Praise ye the Lord.  Praise the Lord, O my soul.  While I live will I praise the lord: I will sing praises unto my God while I have any being."

Sometimes I get a little emotional.  I've wept watching him.  It broke my heart to watch my brother struggle trying to raise his hands in worship to the Lord.  It was because of sheer willpower that he was able to do so, for as long as he did.

It was about three years ago one Sunday morning during worship service that the Lord asked me this question.  "Why aren't you raising your hands like you usually do?"

"I don't know" ... was my hearts response.  "I don't feel like it I guess."

And then Jesus drove it home ... "Do you know why you should?"

"BECAUSE YOU CAN!"


Enough said.  Those three words have never left me.

It's ... arms wide open for me now.

No comments: