Friday, August 2, 2013

So Easily



"So easily."  These two words came to my mind today.  By themselves they don't mean very much.  But they are part of an important phrase in a verse of Scripture. 

Usually it's not a good idea to do what I'm going to do ... but, I'm going to take one part of a verse containing these two words out of their scriptural setting.  I feel the setting and context they are in ... except for one point ... won't be needed with this subject matter.  I don't believe by doing so, any harm will come to the Holy Scriptures. 

These two words, "so easily" are embedded as a figurative implant right in the middle of Hebrews 12:1 ...

"... let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us ..."

Notice I have highlighted in bold print only these two words.  But actually, every word probably needs to be in bold print.  The words I extracted from this verse of scripture, could become one of the most important words of instruction that ... all believers ... need to receive for themselves and follow.

Let me start with this one point that the author of Hebrews portrayed for us in the setting of this chapter ... we are in a race.  But I don't run as much or as fast as I used to.  I'm down to a walk now days.  Even so, I'm still headed for the finish line.

The first thing we are instructed to do is to ... "lay aside every weight" ... which means any burden you carry or anything that becomes a hindrance to you.  Before a race, a runner lays aside, or as it means here, he "casts off" and removes anything which would impede his effort to win his race. 

Whatever it may be, we are exhorted to lay it aside.  What do you carry around with you?  The responsibility to feed your family, lingering childhood hurts, guilt, fear of disease or looming death.  Perhaps being worried or fearful concerning things about the welfare of your children or grand-children.  That hits real close to home with me.

Next it says to lay aside ... "the sin which doth so easily beset us." 

Notice it doesn't say, "if" you have sin.  The author of Hebrews is being honest with you.  Be honest with yourself.  We sin.  And some sins, beset us easier than others.  There is something born naturally in our flesh, some natural tendency or propensity, a disposition to behave in a certain way, a strong inherent inclination to yield to whatever personal temptation you were born with.

By ... "the sin which doth so easily beset us" ... we need to understand that sin to be, the one to which we are most prone, or to which we are most exposed, from habit or circumstances.  And it may be more than one.  Also, be it what it will, if a man's sin remains unsubdued, it will hinder him from running the race, and it can even take away his motive for running the race.

Vincent's Word Studies says the word "beset" as translated, is a good rendering meaning ... to surround.  Vincent gives the example how sin can easily encircle and entangle the Christian runner, as if it were a long, loose robe clinging to his limbs, which causes him to stumble.

So, we know there are two things to be cast off ... every weight or burden that would occupy our heart causing us to take our eyes off the finish line. 

And then there's the sin problem

Every man has one or more weak points in his character where he is exposed to sin.  Each one of us have certain problems, things, or should I just say it ... sins ... that we struggle with.  Repented of and prayed over; yes ... and yet there they still are.  Washed by the blood of Jesus?  Yep, you sure are.  If you have tried to cast them off by yourself, tried to lay them aside on your own ... you've probably failed.  Let Jesus help empower you to do it. 
 
I'm not sure how many times I have quoted Nicholas Herman, the seventeenth century Carmelite monk from French Lorraine, known as Brother Lawrence ... but I'm going to again.  Concerning this very subject, he spoke some words of wisdom 400 years ago when he said ...

"We should seek to learn the sins that do most easily beset us and the times and occasions, when we do most often fall."


Know who you are and what you are.  I know faith teachers don't like it when I say we are just saved sinners trying to keep our bodies of flesh under control ... but that seems to be the truth.

I believe Paul speaks to this when he said in Romans 7:24 ... "O wretched man that I am."  And in the same vain, 1st Peter 4:18 reads ... "And if the righteous scarcely be saved ...?" 

Can we "lay aside" the weight and the sin we carry?  We are told to, aren't we.  To do that we must follow the directive given in Proverbs 4:23 ...

"Keep and guard your heart with all vigilance and above all that you guard, for out of it flow the springs of life."  (Amplified Bible)

Blessings dear ones ...


2 comments:

phil said...

My Precious Brother and Friend, I have read your post several times this morning. It sparks many thoughts with me and I believe I am the LORD wants me to respond to you. I have every intention of doing so, but I am still trying to find the appropriate words as well as processing the thoughts and insight that the Holy Spirit laid upon my heart each time as I read your Post. So, Thank You for sharing. I will get back to you in the next couple of days. Blessings.

Anonymous said...

Truly appreciated this post. Excellent and thought provoking.