Friday, July 12, 2013

Are Christians Naive



The average scientist does not believe in God.  Science deals in provable facts unless there are none; then they use something called theory.  A theory is anything they try to pass off as truth when there is no proof.  Science calls it a supposition ... what is supposed to be possible.  In other words, a theory is a collection of unproven ideas. 

Now, I've never been accused of being too smart; but I'm intelligent enough to recognize that there would be no world for scientists to observe if there were no Creator.  Let me say right up front; I believe in ... intelligent design ... which means this universe just didn't happen on it's own.

So, yes ... I am naive enough to believe in ... GOD.

But, naive is really not the correct term to describe someone who believes in God.  I understand the definition of naive to be ... "a person showing a lack of experience, wisdom, or judgment."

To me, I find this is exactly the opposite description of the Christian believer.  They show exceptional wisdom and judgment by believing in God.

I must admit that to a degree, I accept the statement that God created the universe as though he were a watchmaker.  He wound it up and time started winding down when it started ticking.  Only God knows when this big timepiece will stop.

But I don't agree with those who say God merely watches the universe work from afar and never gets involves in the daily affairs of life.  If He does this, and I have wondered the same thing; He would never have sent Jesus to deal with our sin problem.

In this great big universe, as we live on this one tiny insignificant planet called Earth, there are primary and secondary causes just like a watch has built into it's inner mechanisms.  In the watch, the main spring turns a wheel which in turn causes a secondary wheel to turn the hands and so on. 

Likewise in nature, a primary cause activates or causes a secondary movement which allows a third thing to live or die accordingly.  The rain falls, a plant grows and drops it's seed which in turn feeds one of God's creatures which may become food for man. 

I believe and teach that God is the cause and author of all things, period.  This is the foundational principle of Christian theology which says ... nothing in this world has intrinsic power or even exists of itself.

R.C. Sproul, one of my favorite Bible teachers puts it this way ... "Nothing has any power except the power that is invested in it, or lent to it, if you will, or worked through it, which ultimately is the power of God."

To me, what this boils down to is ... either God created and controls everything; or if there is some things He has no control over ... then some things just happen by chance.  It must be one or the other.

If some things can happen by chance ... if chance is a possibility ... what does that do to our faith in God?  That would mean we would not be able to believe that God is directing all things for our good.  That would also mean that "chance" would have the power to be the primary cause of certain things instead of God.

There is nothing that "chance" can do.  It is not an entity.  Chance is nothing.  It has no power because it has no being ... which means chance can exercise no influence over anything.

Everything we can see and touch, everything that is has a "cause" ... and the power behind that cause ... is God.  If I can't believe that God controls everything ... the weather, the sunrise, the food supply, time, including the number of my days ... then how can I believe in the future and the promise of eternal life with Jesus.

 Naivete' ... may not be the right word for believers like me.  Atheists might say that about believers.  That's okay ... they say a lot worse things than that.

Have you noticed that I haven't used any scripture in this post?  I"m going to use only this one.  Isaiah 1:18 ... "Come now, and let us reason together saith the LORD ..."

Believing that God is the cause behind all things seems perfectly obvious and logical to me.

And I'm at peace with that. 

  

             

No comments: