Friday, February 18, 2011

Grace and Mercy


When we first come to God we don't really know what grace is. We need pardon, we know that. Since we are guilty, and we are, our first cry should be for mercy. This is what we want first … mercy … that brings forgiveness and freedom from our guilt.

I don't know how many governments of the world still have a throne where a sovereign king sits as he rules over his people … but Heaven has one called the throne of grace where Jesus is seated at the right hand of God the Father.

The Book of Hebrews, chapter 4, verses 14-16 states that because Jesus, our great High Priest is in Heaven; and because He can still be touched by what we feel … "Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."

According to Hebrews 7:25, our sovereign king and priest dispenses mercy to all those who come to the throne of grace … "For He is able also to save them … seeing He ever liveth to make intercession for them."

"That we may obtain mercy" … there is mercy for the taking. Every man may go to the throne of grace, and take the mercy that is suited to his degree of guilt. Mercy refers to the pardon of sin, and being made right with God.

"And find grace" … undeserved favor, strength, help, counsel, direction and life support after we are pardoned through mercy. We need this grace to support us in our everyday life and to preserve us in our next day of temptation. And there will be another day of temptation or trials.

We are to call for mercy and grace when we need them. We have been given the liberty when we come up to the throne of grace to call boldly for mercy knowing God hears and will dispense the blessing we need. We come not on our own merits … we have none. We throw ourselves upon the mercy of the court knowing Jesus will make intercession for us.

Ephesians 1:7 … "In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace …"

God's grace has given us redemption by the blood of His Son, and this redemption consists of forgiving our sins. Christ's blood was the price of redemption that God paid for our salvation; and this was "the riches of His grace" … which cost us nothing … but cost God His Son.

"In whom we have redemption through his blood" … Redemption supposes captivity or slavery, and the deliverance out of it. All of mankind by nature is in bondage to sin, we are fallen creatures. But through grace, we are redeemed from that captivity and set free from the bondage and condemnation of sin.

Christ is the author of this deliverance. Jesus, as the Lamb of God was sent to procure our redemption; of which He alone had the right to do … seeing He was not only God … but man as well. Jesus, all by Himself, without the help of any other being in Heaven or on earth has obtained through His obedience, suffering and death, this redemption that is so easily taken for granted by man since it cost us nothing.

This redemption is available to us through the blood of Jesus that purchased it; or a more proper term might be … "paid a ransom for" … the price being the blood of an innocent man; and not just a mere man, but One who is truly God as well as man.

And what is this redemption? Simply put … the forgiveness of sins; all sin, past, present, and future.

"According to the riches of His grace" … I don't believe we will ever know, at least in this present life on earth, the true cost of that ransom God paid. We are redeemed without cost and price of our own; but oh … how much it cost Jesus to procure our redemption and pardon.

Ephesians 2:4 … "But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us …"

But God, who not only is rich in grace, is also rich in mercy … overflowing, abundant. Mercy is the riches or the wealth of God. He abounds in mercy and is so rich in it that He is willing to impart it to anyone who truly asks for it.

Ephesians 2:7 … "That in the ages to come he might show the exceeding riches of his grace in his kindness toward us through Christ Jesus."

Paul states … "in the ages to come" … compared to when this was written, that's where we are today. It's been about 2,000 years. But don't worry; His grace and mercy won't run out, it will continue for eternity.

Psalm 106:1 … "Praise ye the LORD. O give thanks unto the LORD; for he is good: for his mercy endureth forever."

There is a throne of grace. And it is always accessible. There is a God and He is always ready to give mercy. There is a redeemer. His name is Jesus. And He is always interceding. That's really all you need to know.



Comments welcome.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is very good dad. I do use this scripture of binding & loosing as a promise. Now I feel more informed. And I loved your translation of the word grace: undeserved favor, strength, help, counsel, direction & life support. I have really been praying for God to help Morgan with some decisions she needs to make concerning a certain relationship she is in & I couldn't find the right words to express what I want Him to do for her(although I realized a long time ago, I don't have to "say" the right thing when I pray, that He is listening to my heart as well as my words) but this is what she needs... God's "Grace" released in her life.
Love you, Teresa

Following Him said...

One of the most important things all of us need to learn to do is to trust in God's grace and mercy over our total lives.

And you are right ... it's a heart thing with God. We never fool God.

Love you ...

Maggie@MaggiesNotebook said...

You said, "we ARE to call for mercy and grace when we need them," not we "may" or we "can" call for them, and we ARE to receive them.

More often than not, most of us might have to think about it before we spill our sad beans to the Almighty, instead of instantly acknowledging our waywardness and going straight to the throne.

Each week you bring such inspiration. You put the emphasis exactly where it belongs.

Following Him said...

Thanks for your kind words Maggie.

When I write, most of the time I am covering things I need in my life. So I figure if I need encouragement in these areas others do to.

I like to think that the Lord has me write what He wants me to say. I like to think that is the case anyway. I'm here to help.

Blessings ...

Kings Daughter said...

I just want to thank God for you! This is what I needed today! The past 2 years I have been struggling with my husbands passing June 27, 2014. Although, I know if it was not for Our Fathers Mercy and Grace I would NOT be still hanging on. Two months after my husband passed I lost my job of almost 10 years! Ever since I have worked with numerous companies that have only giving me part-time work then lay me off after 90 days! I know I have been bolder with my mouth to those who treat me bad in these places and believe that is my problem! I need Our Lords Mercy and Grace to help me zip my lip! Thank you for this AWESOME SIGHT! Please pray for me that I do His Will His Way! Susan