Friday, August 27, 2010

Potholes


In the past, believing God in times of struggle just seemed useless to me. Why? Because no matter how I prayed, nothing changed; bringing me to the point that I wanted to throw up my hands and scream … why God? But then I remembered that we are the ones that limit God by how we perceive Him, as to His greatness, wisdom, mercy and love. So I ask you, how big is God in your eyes?

If I may, I would like to give you a few thoughts that just might encourage you, as you travel this road of life. Most of what I write won’t even be scripture, but I prayerfully hope it will be from God's heart and not mine. All of the words won’t be mine only, but from others I have learned from.

All of us no matter how strong our faith is; come to a point in our life where we question God. That's ok; I really don't think God minds. I'm of the opinion that He wants us to be honest with Him when we come to Him with our questions.

We need to impress upon our hearts the knowledge that God loves us, and to recognize that God is at every moment, intimately present with us. There is no moment when His eye is off us, or His attention is distracted from us, and no moment therefore, when His care falters. He can’t fail us, right. Or can He?

For over a year I didn’t believe that statement because I thought He had failed me. During my daughter Teresa’s first pregnancy, she started having trouble between five and six months, and was checked into the hospital. God gave me some promises from the Word, which I shared with her. Her smile was so beautiful; her eyes were full of trust and faith when I shared them with her. God was with her. Everything was going to be okay. A few days passed, more tests … can’t find a heartbeat! Her baby was dead.

"I have to stop writing here … it still hurts! Sorry … it's hard to write when you can't see through the tears."

What hurt the most was when my little girl looked up at me in that hospital bed, now with so much pain and disbelief in her eyes as she asked me the hardest question I have ever been asked by anyone … "But Dad, what about those promises God gave you?" Now what was I going to say? The only answer I could give her was … I don’t know. Wasn't that a lot of help.

In truth looking back, I have to say even after 20 years, I still don’t know … not about the promises … but whether God gave them to me, or did I just think He did. But now I will say this … God can’t fail … period! I just thought He failed me because He didn’t DO what I wanted Him to do.

The Lord has been asking me lately … Do you trust Me? This question at first put me on guard; now what? But I had to say to Him … yes I do.

God has many ways of allowing us to show that trust. One way is called, the road of life. The vehicle we travel in is called … "faith."

As you travel this road it has many potholes; some God puts in our way, some are from the devil, but most of them are just … "life." Many potholes we can drive around; others we can’t. Some small potholes will give you a little bump and we go on. Bigger potholes can damage a wheel when you hit them. A few people unknowingly, though no fault of their own, drive into huge potholes that wreck their whole faith vehicle, and need someone to help pull them out. That's why I write each week … to offer you a hand if you need it.

Someone once said that as we travel on the road of life, God often permits that we should suffer a little bump now and then to wake us up and oblige us to continue calling on Him. I don't know if that is true, but from my experience, that sounds about right.

Phillip Yancey's book, "Disappointment with God" has helped me better understand my own feelings when I experience some of life's potholes. In it he asks this question …

"How can we reconcile the exalted words of the New Testament with the everyday reality around us?"

He goes on in the book and says … "The kind of faith God values seems to develop best when everything fuzzes over, when God stays silent, when the fog rolls in."

It's like God wants us to trust Him when we aren't in control. Good … we don't know where we are going anyway … but He does. The truth is … we are never in control of our lives … but He is.

Think about another statement from his book. "You do not have to sit outside in the dark. If, however you want to look at the stars, you will find that darkness is required." Sorry, but I also find that's true.

Remember what Job said about God? "Though He slay me, yet will I serve Him."

Phillip Yancey says … "Faith like Job's cannot be shaken, because it is the result of having been shaken."

Jesus said in John 14:27 … "My peace I give unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid." The word peace used here isn't used any place else in the Bible. It means a quietness in your spirit and soul (in your mind, your thoughts) … a rest.

I pray this peace for you … as you try and drive around life's potholes.


Comments welcome.

No comments: