Friday, July 30, 2010

Using the Name of Jesus


I feel the need to share a couple thoughts about … using the name of Jesus.

I realize that there is no other name given (other than Jesus) whereby we must be saved. I also believe there is no other name that catches or gets the attention of Heaven as fast as when we call upon or even just say the name … Jesus.

The name … Jesus … should always be spoken with purpose; not verbalized as those in the world use it, in vain. How often do we hear His name used as a swear word, or used as a point of expression to emphasize various emotions, usually bad ones.

Those of us who know Him personally often find ourselves just breathing that name as a word of praise and thanksgiving; if for no other reason than to express our love and appreciation for what He has done for us. The name Jesus may come from our lips like a soft whisper, as if carried from our hearts almost as silently as our breath.

I don't know about you, but when I hear of something good that God has done for a brother or sister in the Lord I say almost instinctively … "Praise God!" But when I hear about the opposite, like a death or accident, or if I hear of a bad diagnosis like cancer, the first thing I find myself doing is breathing the name … Jesus … as a prayer from my spirit.

There is no other name to speak at times like that. Say it as softly as your breath … Jesus. Whisper the name … Jesus. Go ahead; say it right now if you want too. It's okay.

The name Jesus by itself can be a prayer. It helps bring stability to your thoughts and peace to your soul. Oh, you can cry it out loudly to the Lord as well. No problem, that too is okay. That's what Peter did when he was sinking in the water; he cried out fearfully … "Lord save me!" And Jesus did.

Okay, as usual I got side tracked. I didn't intend to write what I did; it just came out of my heart I guess. But now I need to go on and cover this short discourse on … "Using the Name of Jesus."

That's what I do each morning after my wife and I pray. I ask God the Father to take the words spoken, the petitions and requests that we present to Him; that through His love, mercy and grace He will cause them to come to pass in all the lives of those we have prayed for. We even close prayer the same way Jesus taught His disciples; we ask God the Father … "in the name of Jesus."

That's normally how it's done, right? And there's nothing wrong with that. But the thought I want to share with you is what I felt in my heart as I was closing our prayer time each of the last two days as I spoke the words … "in the name of Jesus." I felt the gentle urging of the Holy Spirit as He spoke the same thing to my heart both days … "You don't always need to ask, in the name of Jesus." That got my attention the second day.

I hope I can get all this right. It may not matter anyway. I'm not trying to make some new doctrine, just … a thought to ponder.

We have been given the name of "Jesus" to use as a legal document. In an American Court of Law this document would be used the same as a "Power of Attorney." But we are not going to use it in a court of law. Instead we are going to use it in the "spirit world" where Satan is the ruler of darkness.

A legal "Power of Attorney" is an instrument of Law that gives a person full legal authority to make any and all decisions on behalf of another person. Usually it's a family member close to the person appointing them to operate as a guardian or trustee over their property, health and finances; in other words over their estate.

But you may say … "A Power of Attorney is only good while the person you represent is alive. Didn't Jesus die?"

Yes, He did; but haven't you read in Revelation 1:18 where Jesus said … "I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive forevermore." That tells me His Power of Attorney is still a legal instrument of Spiritual Law.

Jesus has given to believers … His "Power of Attorney" to conduct His business here on earth in His absence. We are to stand in the courtroom of the world and declare … "In the Name of Jesus" … speaking with the very same authority as if Jesus Himself was speaking.

We usually use that phrase at the close of a variety of prayers including healing, deliverance, salvation, finances, safety over our children, etc., etc. By doing so we are asking God the Father to grant these things in that name as if Jesus Himself was asking.

Another reason we have been given His Power of Attorney to operate "In His Name" is so we can stand up to the forces of evil in this world and do battle, spiritual warfare against Satan as he tries to destroy the lives of believers and their loved ones.

Jesus has given us the authority to speak to mountains of doubt and unbelief or anything else that Satan uses to attack the church with. Because of this authority, we can and should make declarations of faith using "the Name of Jesus," operating in His stead … meaning in His function or position, in His place against the various problems or road blocks that Satan puts in our way.

Please understand … I'm not making any new rules. I personally don't like rules, especially concerning God. He doesn't follow any rules. He is the rule. "God is." That's rule number one and that's all I need to know.

But concerning what He spoke to my heart … there are certain times like our morning prayer time; and yes, we are "praying," but we're not really spending any more time asking God for His care, etc., than we do just spending time "with" Him. That's what He wants. He wants us to acknowledge that He is "in the room" with us and allow His presence to fill our hearts and prepare us for the day; no matter what life brings.

He wants to have our attention, and for us to listen to what He is saying more than what we are saying. Listen for Him, don't do all the talking; maybe He's speaking about us being His friend for the day. No, we aren't buddies … He is still God. But He wants to be the closest friend you will ever have.

I guess what I'm trying to say, what I believe the Lord was speaking to me, is that it's during these close relational moments with Him, even in what you would usually call a devotional time of prayer; and because you are already talking and sharing one on one with Jesus, who is there with you … you don't need to end that time by always using the phrase … "In the Name of Jesus."

Let me say it this way. Right after your two way conversation with Jesus, would you say to Him … "Jesus, in the name of Jesus we receive these blessings from you today."

There will be times (because of your close relationship) that you can just humbly say, "Thanks Lord," and mean it.

I also think (the closing) may depend on what kind of conversation you are having with the Lord. There are times when it may be only praise and thanksgiving. At other times it may be just worship. Or you may be confronted with a storm in your life that is sinking your boat and all you have time for is … "Jesus save me."

I don't believe God is as concerned with rules as much as He is with sharing His life with you. Many times rules are used to try and put God into a box. "There, now we know what He is going to do." No … not even close.

I like what Graham Cook says. "We have no idea what God is going to do next. But we always know what He is going to be like."

He wants a relationship with you; a close relationship where you both get to know each other. He already knows what you are like … and He still loves you. That should tell you something about Him.

Realize that God the Father and Jesus His Son in the form of the Holy Spirit is with you at all times. So share your personal life with Him, talk with Him; maybe even ask Him a question or two. Who knows, He might even give you some of the answers you are looking for.

Be aware of the presence of God in your life. He knows you … get to know Him.

I think you will like Him.


Comments welcome.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome thoughts dad!! I really enjoyed this & think your right on.