Monday, July 20, 2009

In Regard to Healing


R.C. Sproul said …

"I don’t know how many times I’ve seen on the walls of pastors’ studies or in Christian homes the little sign … Expect a Miracle."

If a miracle is something we can expect, like we expect the mail every morning, it ceases to be miraculous … it’s no longer extraordinary, and it no longer does the job that miracles were designed to do, which is … to call attention in an astonishing way to the intervention of God.

On the other hand, the New Testament tells us to bring our prayers before the Throne of God, and particularly for those … who are sick. So I expect God to be merciful because He promises to be merciful, and I expect God to be present in times of trouble because He promises to be present in every time of trouble. I expect God to take our prayers seriously when we pray on behalf of the sick.

But … I do not expect that God is going to heal everybody we pray for because I don’t know that God has ever promised to do that. I have no right to expect something from God that He has not categorically promised in every situation.

In the New Testament we see that Jesus, as far as we know, had a perfect healing record. When Jesus asked the Father to heal somebody, they were healed.

The apostles healing record however wasn't that consistent. There were times when they prayed for the healing of people and those people were healed; but there were also times when they prayed for people who were not healed.

In many healing situations when dealing with others, speaking practically now; what we should do is bring our requests before God in faith, and then … let God be God.

The Bible tells us that in the world we have tribulation, there is pain and suffering; we are going to suffer … sorry … there is sickness, disease and death. I can't find where God has promised us healing every time, in every situation. But I can find where God has promised to go with us"though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil for thou art with me."

Again I find myself thinking of Christ as my shepherd; and as such my total care which includes healing, is in His hands. "I shall not want"more … than my shepherd gives me.

So … I pray, trust God and go on.

2 comments:

Debbie (Sis) said...

Yet again, I can't agree with you more.

I know that with my own struggles (health struggles) I have faith that God can heal me and I know that He has healed me in the spiritual realm BUT I also know that it has not been made evident in the physical or earthly realm, yet. When will it be? I don't know. But I hold fast to my faith in a perfect God Who does things in His perfect time. I also hold fast to the belief that since my physical healing has not yet been made known in the physical realm there must be reason for it and that reason must be for the good of the Kingdom. It may even be for my good. Maybe without it I may not feel the need for my God and may stray from His tender loving care.

We have two choices in life: 1) Believe that our God is good or 2) NOT. I have to admit that when I am not in His Word the choice of believing that He is good is a little more difficult than when I pour into Him (by His Word, prayer, praise and worship) daily.

Brother, keep up your good work. I may lapse in my reading of your blog from time to time, but I would surely miss it if it weren't there entirely. I have felt parched since July 11th (your last post) and this Word from the Lord has been JUST what I needed for today since I have been laboring in prayer for some people that are dear to me to be healed. I will continue the prayers knowing that my God is just and merciful and that prayer DOES MATTER. BUT, also knowing that His Will is supreme to my wishes and so it should be.

Following Him said...

Wow Sis …

I don't believe I have ever received such a great compliment before, especially from someone with your stature, knowledge and love for God's Word. I had to stop and wipe the tears from my eyes when I read your words.

My personal feeling is that I really don't have anything to say that anyone really wants to hear. So bless you Sis for your encouraging words. I have wondered if anyone would even care if I gave up this blog.

I started to post something about "The Potter's Wheel" but I was checked in my spirit; so I'm glad I went with what I posted.

I feel that you are truly … my sister.

Thank you … Blessings.